When I mess something up, at least everyone escapes with all their limbs intact.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Obsession

No, not the Calvin Klein type.

I become, shall we say, extremely focused on the attaining of goals once I have set them. I read everything there is, talk to people who have or might have known someone who had knowledge on the subject, and daydream scheme plot make plans.

It's a tedious task for me, and one that makes friends and relatives run in fear when I've set my sights on something.

Nicely put, I become obnoxious.

I find myself presently in this predicament. I am obsessed with finding a new house - you know, one that's bigger than a breadbox? - in my hometown, where we spend most of our waking hours, and where my husband still works. Both our families are there. Nice place to live. Makes sense, right?

So I've been working on our current house and had planned to have it on the market in September...only, my ankle had other plans. (Thanks, ankle! Cookie for you, and all.) Because I'm at the mercy of my injury, things have stalled. I'm really close to being done, and it's frustrating because at this point, I can't even clean my house effectively, let alone renovate.

The house across the street from the one I grew up in, where my brother and his wife still live now, is going on the market. The elderly couple who own it have moved to a independent living community much more suited to their needs and their children are putting the house up for sale. I have spoken with the family, and we may be able to work out a deal in the next few months should the house not sell for what they wish.

This house is beautiful. It has four bedrooms, two decks, and a fireplace. The yard is private, thanks to large, dense evergreen trees that completely block the neighbors view. The yard is large enough for my dogs to run happily and for my son to play and it's right across the street from my family. On MY street. In MY neighborhood. It's home.

I felt so comfortable sitting there, talking with this couple's daughter. I felt like this could be home, and it felt wrong to leave it.  I'm already planning what room will serve what purpose, and where furniture will go, and how amazing it will be to have coffee on the deck in the fall, or be snowbound in the winter, or watch my son and my nephew play in the backyard come fall.  I want that house. I need that house. I have to have that house. NOW NOW NOW!

Did I mention that I get a little obsessive about things?

This is not the first time that I have had a feeling about a house recently. There have been several over the course of the past year. Suffice to say, I can pretty much see my family in any decent house that isn't the one we're living in now, for the most part.

This one, though. This one is different, man. I can't stop thinking about it. I want it, and I want to work hard at whatever I need to do to get it. Problem is, I can't do the work because I'm recovering from this damned surgery. This vexes me greatly. I am a worker - I want something, I work hard, I get it. Right now I want something and I am in no position to do the work needed to get it. I am also not in a position to brow beat my husband into doing it, either. I'm really, really frustrated.

I need to get my house on the market so that I can even have a shot at this place. It needs to happen really, really soon. Yet here I sit, on my tush, waiting for a "work party day" on Saturday when my husband can start to tackle the projects, with as much non-weight-putting-assistance as I can muster.

This feeling will pass. It'll take a few days, I'll calm down and come back to reality. I know that what is destined to happen is going to happen. If this is supposed to be my home it will be.

I just want to pick out paint colors while I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment