When I mess something up, at least everyone escapes with all their limbs intact.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Temptation and Addiction

Holy emotional eating, Batman! This evening's events triggered my "stress eating" gene...no worries, I didn't deviate from my planned meals, but I'm really fighting the need to soothe my nerves with carbohydrates. It all started when I got home this evening and found that my beagle had destroyed my blinds in the office, peed twice in my closet, and brought a plant in from out in the backyard and dumped it on my living room carpet. Welcome home, Mom!

I know the answer is more attention, and I truly am going to give it. In my perfect world I'd be home with my family, giving them all the attention they deserve. But reality forces me to work full-time, and for the next year or so until we can pay down some debt and relocate to a house more suited to a young, growing family, that's not going to change.

Cleaning up the mess, I felt the erie, creeping feeling of addiction encompass my spine and neck, all the way to that little part when it meets the brain - the hot, liquid silver fury that was begging - BEGGING? DEMANDING! NOW! To be cooled and soothed by that amazing piece of chocolate, by another helping of pasta, by just a few cookies. I could feel the anticipation of satisfaction, the parasympathetic reaction that proved to me I was reacting to the stress of the situation and not to my appetite - I could feel the soothing calm release of the food without actually eating anything. My body was tricking me...tempting me.

Knowing is half the battle, and so armed with that knowledge I continued with the evening agenda - bath, stories, and bedtime for my blonde boy. Now, I'm writing to kill the craving. Good battle plan, no? I felt and fought this same feeling when I quit smoking. I beat it then, I can beat it now.

 I'm otherwise really excited - this weight-loss go round, I've switched up my tempo. Instead of trying to conquer the diet aspect first I've begun conquering the exercise portion. I'm in week 4 of a fierce pilates class and week 2 of twice-weekly zumba classes, and I'm finding that I'm choosing healthier options based on how my body feels because of these classes. My husband made a deal with me that we could have another baby once I got back to my healthier fighting weight...and that's really the motivation I need. Oddly enough it's the best carrot to dangle in front of me.

This week I signed up with Fatsecret to track my food intake online as opposed to on paper, and I find the nutritional info very helpful and the search feature very easy to use, so I feel I may stay with this one.


I met with a local gym today. I've been taking classes piecemeal style at about $100 per month, and for $25 a month PLUS $10 for their babysitting service (which is a HUGE bonus) I can attend as many classes as I want and use all the equipment I want. I am going to sign up when I get back from the 4th of July vacation.  My ideal goal would be to go to a different class 5 or 6 days a week. Having babysitting onsite makes it something I can do with my son, so when Mommy goes to the gym he doesn't feel left out.

My pilates class this week was the first one where I felt capable. I felt strong. I felt like I could do the maneuvers properly and afterwards, I felt amazing. Now, the few days since the class...yeah, I kinda want to cry a little. But it's getting better...slowly but surely, it's getting better.

3 comments:

  1. Katie, you are awesome and you are an inspiration. I know you can do it. Yes, there will be mistakes, there will be side paths, there will be guilt and regret... but you will make it in the end.
    Love, Katharine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being so consistantly encouraging and empowering, I really appreciate it, Katharine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're much braver than I am for sure! If I see a cupcake, I'm eating it. Nothing's getting in between me and my cupcake. Not even the 40 pounds I still need to lose :(

    ReplyDelete