When I mess something up, at least everyone escapes with all their limbs intact.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

January 2

1. Today my family and I went to Arlington National Cemetery to visit my Dad and Mom. We were supposed to go December 19th, my Dad's birthday, but we got two feet of snow instead, so we postponed the trip until today. Dad always hated getting gifts for his birthday, so it was almost like Dad was trying to stop us from going to see him! Then today it was blisteringly cold, the kind of cold that has your skin stinging with tiny pinpricks of pain when you finally do find heat...this again we blame on Dad, because (a) he liked it really cold anyways and (b) he didn't want us there wallowing at his gravesite, anyways. Nobody broke down, nobody lost it...but we all had a pretty good laugh about the circumstances and left with a "all right old man, we get the point!"

2. I discovered that the old dollar store at Hilltop Plaza had moved to the building previously occupied by Joann Fabrics and had become a mega-super dollar store! I am very excited about this...because this new! and improved! dollar store has registers. That move. And many, many aisles. Of stuff. That's a dollar.

3. I watched one of my patients reinforce an unnecessary fear in one of her children, and it made me reflect on how I react to things in regards to Ethan based on my own unnecessary fears. I was doing draws on a couple with two young kids. The 6-year-old was really interested in what I was doing and wanted to see me take a sample, so I asked her if she wanted to come watch and showed her how we look for veins and how they feel - making it normal, safe, a process rather than an event - and her mother completely shut me down. My nephew has seen my sister-in-law take her insulin shots every day of his life - he's even helped her do it. He has no issues when he goes in for shots. Because it's normal. This kid was truly interested in what I was doing and even relayed to me how she had had her blood drawn once and that she had been scared because she didn't know what was going on. It's a shame that she didn't get to see the other side of things when she really wanted (needed) to. But it made me think that, as a mother, there are going to be times where Ethan is doing something that I am irrationally afraid of, and that it is my job to keep that crap to myself and let him discover things without my bias.

4. I got my nails done by a guy I really don't care for. There is one lady at the salon who I adore. She's careful, takes her time, and really cares about how the end product comes out. The guy I had isn't horrible, but he's not great either and his hands are eerily soft...far too soft not to be questionable. He makes me uncomfortable. And he leers a bit. I'm really gonna make a concieted effort to call ahead and reserve a spot with my favorite lady instead of taking the gamble that she's available.

5. Chris and I finished working on the laundry. It's separated, folded, and put away...at least, all that wasn't stuck in a basket to be washed. You can walk in the room now without being knee-deep in clothes, though.

6. I discovered a new product by McCormick - it's a recipe card that has the exact amount and types of spices you need for the dish it's describing in a little attached package, so all you have to do is mix, dump, and viola! Dinner. It was fantastic.I'm hooked. It even tells you how much of what was used so that, should you have those ingredients in the future, you can replicate it without having to buy the card again. Or, alternatively, you could just keep buying the cards because it's cheaper than buying a whole jar of spice. Whatever. Functional and delicious. Win!

7. I read the signature book from my Mom's funeral. I hadn't seen it, and my brother was leery of my looking at it because he'd gotten so upset over it. He and I have very different memories and feeling about that event. I got to see signatures that I hadn't seen in years, letters to my father from random places...like my daycare, Mike's teacher...just an outpouring of love from so many people. I saw my fathers old handwriting, my Auntie's signature, MY five-year-old signature on a flower card, my Grandfathers very regal name on the guest book. For me, it was like a hug from the other world. Warm. Loving. I thanked Mike for letting me read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment